Wednesday, July 2, 2014

There, Here, Now - new works at Hooks-Epstein Galleries


There, Here, Now is a new series of gouache paintings on paper at Hooks-Epstein Galleries, in Houston Texas. These works present a new kind of history painting. Reminiscent of imagery found in historical European art, these works examine signifiers of wealth, class and identity construction with a contemporary twist. Each image merges, juxtaposes and explores elements found in historical paintings with American pop-culture references to draw similarities between the two.
Symbols found There in the past, have managed to manifest themselves Here, and the ideologies of what it means to be successful are more prevalent Now. 


I've Got My Mind on My Money and My Money on My Mind, 2014
gouache on board 
17 x 15" - framed


The Game, 2013
gouache on paper 
40 x 32" - paper size