Sunday, November 8, 2009

Calavera Fashion Show

I am happy with the end result of my piece for the Calavera Fashion Show held annually at Galeria Tropico de Nopal in Los Angeles. I was eager to try and make my very first dress and my Fashion Debut was well received. Twenty One Artists were invited to honor loved ones, heroes or social causes by creating a wearable altar and the description of mine is as follows:

Title:  "A Stitch in Time"

The dress is dedicated to my grandfather whom sewed all his life in the custom upholstery business and to all the working class individuals whom have gone blind overseeing stitches and threading needles, whom suffer arthritis from overuse of their hands and whom have slaved over sewing machines to make a living.
It is also in dedication to all whom have perished while working in sewing factories such as the Triangle Shirtwaist Fire in New York in 1911, and the sweatshop collapse in Bangladesh in 2005.


To view more photos please visit my Flickr Account: Stephanie Mercado Flickr